This updated classic Fall cocktail can be made with any vodka, fresh cider and an indulgent salted caramel rim.
Happy Friday everyone. This week, I took a little field trip to the Winter Park Distilling Company.
The Distillery offers several fantastic spirts including Genius Drive Vodka which I am using today for a caramel & cider infused “Moscow Mule”.
I wanted to create a cocktail that is perfect for Fall, but at the same time refreshing and crisp. I took a basic Mule recipe and added fresh apple cider, vodka and caramel. The caramel adds smoky notes and the apple cider just screams Fall. But what I really love its the apple fans spiked with lime juice. Not only does does the lime juice keep the fruit from browning, it provides the extra tang and cuts the sweetness. In my original version, I added the caramel to the shaker, but it just get too clunky and sticks to the bottom of the glass. In the updated version, roll with glass rim on one side only in the caramel, then fine French sea salt. Do not use margarine salt- it is too coarse and overwhelms the caramel.
This is a divine twist that is fantastic.
Mix remaining ingredients in a martini shaker- and mix well. Top with ice and your favorite ginger beer and you have a cocktail you will enjoy as long as you can find fresh apple cider. This is not a drink to make with shelf stable cider. You want the fresh stuff in the juice section of your grocery store. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Mule – Serves 1
1.5 oz Genius Drive Vodka
1/2 oz caramel sauce
1 oz fresh apple cider
1 Bottle of ginger beer
1 Apple- sliced into fans- remove seeds
Juice of two limes
French very fine grey sea salt
Method- makes one Mule
- Place apple slices in a jar or bowl with the lime juice and soak well until apple slices are infused with lime. Chill until ready to use.
- In a martini shaker, add ice, vodka, apple cider and. Shake well until caramel has dissolved and drink is ice cold. Dip one side of the rim of your glass in the caramel, roll in the fine sea salt.
- Pour contents of shaker into a double old fashioned glass or copper mug filled halfway with ice. Top with Ginger Beer. Garnish the glass or mug with the lime soaked apple fan just where the caramel begins.
Notes and other Vodka based cocktails
- French Grey Sea Salt- HERE
- Jammy Cranberry Moscow Mule
- Apple Cider Sangria
- Old Florida Pamplemousse Martini
- Blood Orange Martini
Special thanks to Andrew Asher, Co-founder of the Winter Park Distilling Company, for being my official taster this week.