Summer to me is all about fresh, in season ingredients, simple meals and time together with family and friends. Who wants to spend all day in the kitchen laboring over sauces, mariandes and fussy desserts? Not me. This simple peach cobbler is the answer to your summer time, “What to serve for dessert?” question. It is a “no stir” dessert I’ve been making for decades.
Use frozen peaches ( or really any fruit like cherries, blackberries or blueberries) , melt butter in a baking dish, whip up a quick batter of sugar, flour, baking powder and milk, add a few spices to your fruit, throw it all in the casserole filled with the melted butter and bake. Easy!
I once made this dessert for a dinner party I hosted when my guest who was to bring a dessert and brought wine instead. I spared my poor guest any embarrassment by whipping thisup in a flash and looked like a pro serving this up with ice cream (always keep vanilla ice cream and frozen fruit in the freezer!).
Here’s to summer and to keeping it simple!
Summer Peach Cobbler- Serves 6
1- 10oz bag frozen peaches ( or blueberries, blackberries or cherries)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granualted sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
dash of Kosher salt
vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving
Method- Prep time- 10 minutes, baking time 45 MINUTES
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place frozen peaches in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside .
- In a shallow baking dish, melt the stick of butter in the warm oven for 1-3 minutes. Do not let butter burn.
- Remove baking dish from oven and place on a sheet tray.
- In a medium bowl combine, remaining (1 cup) of sugar, 3/4 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 3/4 cup milk ,spices and salt. Mix well with a whisk until just combined. Pour the wet batter over the melted butter. DO NOT STIR.
- Pour the peaches and their juices on top of the batter. DO NOT STIR.
- Place baking dish with sheet tray (to prevent spillage) in the 350 degree oven and bake 45 minutes or until the crust is deep golden brown and the peaches are bubbling.
Serve with ice cream or freshly whipped cream.