These Spicy, chewy and oh so yummy cookies are exactly what you should be baking this week for Santa. Warm cloves, cinnamon, and ginger paired with a bit of heat from white pepper makes for a perfect cookie. I throw in just a touch of cocoa powder and then roll the dough into balls and coat with sugar. Your house will smell like something out of a Christmas Carol.
Chewy Cocoa MOLASSES Cookies- makes 2 dozen cookies
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cups) unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar- for rolling cookies
Method- Prep time- 1 1/2 hours ( chilling dough) , baking time- 10 minutes
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy. Add in egg, vanilla and molasses. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the spices, salt, white pepper, cocoa powder and flour. On low speed slowly, add in the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix about 20-30 seconds taking care not to overmix.
Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- With cold clean hands, roll the dough into 1 TBSP size balls. Roll in the sugar to throughly coat. Place on baking sheet 3- 4″ apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until center is set. Cool on baking sheet for five minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.