These spicy, chewy and oh so yummy cookies are exactly what you should be baking this holiday season.
These Spicy, chewy and oh so yummy cookies are exactly what you should be baking this week for Santa. Warm cloves, cinnamon, and ginger paired with a bit of heat from white pepper makes for a perfect cookie. I throw in just a touch of cocoa powder and then roll the dough into balls and coat with sugar. Your house will smell like something out of a Christmas Carol.
Chewy Cocoa MOLASSES Cookies- makes 2 dozen cookies
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cups) unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 1/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar- for rolling cookies
Method- Prep time- 1 1/2 hours ( chilling dough) , baking time- 10 minutes
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy. Add in egg, vanilla and molasses. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the spices, salt, white pepper, cocoa powder and flour. On low speed slowly, add in the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix about 20-30 seconds taking care not to overmix.
Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- With cold clean hands, roll the dough into 1 TBSP size balls. Roll in the sugar to throughly coat. Place on baking sheet 3- 4″ apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until center is set. Cool on baking sheet for five minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.