Today is Self Care Sunday. Each Sunday I’ll be posting a recipe that is healthy and reminds us during the holidays to slow down and take care of ourselves. Today was a beautiful day in Winter Park and my golden retreiver and I had a fantastic 3 mile walk followed by a super healthy low carb breakfast- eggs- and more eggs. Boring. But, I have been motivated all day to continue to eat healthy and stay focused and be mindful. It reminded me it was time to make a batch of this yummy nutty granola I love.
I discovered this recipe online at Wholesomeyum about a year ago. I was trying to find a low sugar & low carb cereal. I LOVE granola, oatmeal, cereal – anything simple I can make for breakfast and I was not finding a lot of options. I tried the recipe with butter and Erythritol, but the butter tasted off after a day or two and I just can’t get past the chemical flavor of Erythritol and I really missed my oats, so I throw in just a 1/4 cup of oats. . I opted for canola oil & honey to sweeten and bind the granola. I know- not low carb- just lower carb. You need to store this in an airtight container away from heat and light- there are loads of nuts and they can spoil quickly. In my list of ingredients, I do offer the low carb and no sugar option if you’d prefer to be carb free.
1 cup Almonds
1 cup Hazelnuts
1/2 cup Pepitas ( pumpkin seeds)
1/3 cup Sunflower kernels
1/2 cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup Golden Flax seeds
1/4 cup Old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup Canola oil
1/4 cup Organic Honey
*If you want carb free/ sugar free granola- omit the oats and substitute the oil and honey for 1 large egg white, 1/4 cup butter and 5 TBSP Erythritol. Skip heating the oil and honey in step 4 .
*Just pulse egg white, butter and sweetener in the food processor and go to baking step.
Method- Prep time- 15 minutes, bakE time 15 minutes
- Pre heat oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds and hazelnuts until nuts are reduced in size by about a fourth- about 6-8 pulses.
- Add pepitas, sunflower kernels and flax seeds. Pulse again until everything is combined- about 3 pulses. Add oats,coconut and cinnamon. Pulse until combined- about 2 pulses. Transfer mixture into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat oil and honey and stir until combined and melted together. Remove from heat and stir in Vanilla.
Pour honey mixture over nuts and seeds and stir until well coated. Transfer to the baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
Bake for 12-15 minutes.
After 7 minutes of baking, stir the granola so it does not burn.
- Remove from oven once granola is golden brown. Let cool completely then break up into pieces and store in an airtight container. If your nuts and seeds are not salted, you can add sea salt to the granola. Granola will stay crisp for over a week if stored in a cool dark place.