This beautiful, soft crumb, barely sweetened loaf is made with an enriched dough (eggs and butter are added to the recipe). Perfect for first time bread bakers- it is a remarkably simple loaf.
I absolutely adore bread baking. The most humble ingredients: flour, salt, water and yeast are transformed in just a few hours into something extraordinary and nourishing. There is nothing more comforting than homemade bread slathered with softened butter, honey and flakey salt.
This is a perfect recipe for beginners. You don’t even need a baking tin, just a large sheet pan and some parchment paper. First things first- water temperture- get it right. I microwave my water and then pop a thermometer into it. When it the water hits 110 degrees, I add my yeast. Never fails me.Jump to Recipe
The most important thing about bread baking is to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Read this recipe and then read it again. Make certain you add the salt towards the end of mixing so it does not retard the growth of the yeast. Give yourself plenty of time to bake this recipe. It takes about 4 hours from start to finish.
Serve this bread with honey and butter. Make it into the most divine French toast. And be certain to share the extra loaf with a friend.
- Flour- King Arthur All purpose unbleached flour
- Yeast- Red Star Platinum yeast- do NOT use instant for this recipe
- If you do not have a stand mixer, knead the dough for three minutes until soft and pliable.
- Chill the dough for 2-3 minutes if it too sticky to work with. Chilled dough can be easier to manage.
- You can add coarsely chopped apricots, walnuts, prunes or raisins to this recipe.