Thai chicken with Soba noodles and peanut sauce should be your go to cold supper dish for the weekend when you have time to enjoy chopping beautiful veggies from the local market and marinating chicken, shrimp or even beef. This is Hunky Hubbie’s favorite dinner right now- he loves peanut sauce.
You really can use any fresh veggies you’d like- throw in some pineapple if you’d like for sweetness.
Soba noodles can be tricky. One tip is to undercook them and chill them right away. A little dash of oil- just a dash- will loosen them up before serving.
I prefer making this dish early in the day so I can really clean up before serving- you do need a few bowls for prepping everything. Assemble all the ingredients on a large platter- it’s also a great dish for a pot luck or supper club. The peanut sauce can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
Thai chicken with soba noodles and peanut sauce
8 hours – mostly to MARINATE CHICKEN
for the CHICKEN:
- 3 boneless skin chicken breast
- 4 TBSP canola oil
- 3 stalks lemon grass- chopped- use white part only
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 TBSP fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 TBSP honey
- juice of one lime
- zest of one lime
For the chicken
- Place chicken breasts in a zip top bag, set aside.
- Marinade: Combine remaining ingredients- Oil through Lime zest in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour marinade into bag with chicken and let rest in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Chicken can marinate all day to develop more flavor.
- Pre heat oven to 375
- Place chicken on a sheet pan lined with parchment and roast for 30-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clean when pierced with a knife. You can also grill the chicken if you prefer.
- Slice chicken on the diagonal into one inch strips . Chill until ready to use.
For the Peanut Sauce
- 2 TBSP Sesame oil
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 2 TBSP grated fresh ginger
- 2 TBSP Tamari
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 TSBP Sweet chili sauce
- 1 TBSP honey
- Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth- Sesame oil through honey. Test for sweetness and adjust as needed. Peanut sauce should be thick and sweet.
- Chill until needed for serving.
For the veggies & Noodles
- 1 package of buckwheat/SOBA noodles
- 1 bowl of cold water
- 1 cup peeled hot house cucumber, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup red peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup of yellow peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup carrots julienned
- 1 cup green cabbage, julienned
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime cut into small wedges
To prepare Noodles
- In a large stock pot with boiling water, place noodles into boiling water for 2 1/2 minutes. Not one second longer.
- Remove noodles from boiling pot water and immediately plunge into cold water for 1-2 minutes gently stirring the noodles to stop cooking process and to keep them from clumping.
- Place noodles on dry paper towels to drain. Toss out cold water. Set noodles aside until serving. Toss with a dash of sesame oil before serving if needed to loosen them.
- In a large pan, heat oil. Add pepper strips and carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes until just crisp tender. Set aside too cool.
- Place peanut sauce in a serving dish on a large platter.
- Neatly pile each of the vegetables creating a rainbow of colors on your serving platter. Place chicken off to one side and nest noodles in the center.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over top. Serve with lime wedges off to the side.