This fun little recipe is one I have had for years. It is perfect for holiday entertaining- Bunco night, Halloween party, Thanksgiving Day appetizer or a pot luck when you really want to wow your friends. The aroma of roasted pumpkin is just about the best smelling thing you can have in your house during the fall months. Try using different cheeses- Gruyere, Swiss, Fontina- really anything that melts well is fine. I would avoid blue cheese- it just doesn’t go quite right with the pumpkin. Serve with crostini or gingersnaps. I love the warm spice of the gingersnaps paired with the nutty cheeses.
Roasted Pumpkin Tureen
1 Pie Pumpkin- 4 lbs, washed
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
6 oz. baby Swiss cheese, shredded
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup bread crumbs, toasted
1 pint half and hlaf
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp back pepper
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, divided
Method- Prep time 30 minutes, baking time 2 hours
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a serrated knife, cut the top off of the pumpkin removing about two inches in diameter from around the stem. Save the top. With a melon baller or small scoop, remove all seeds and fibers from inside the pumpkin including the fibers on top.
Combine olive oil and garlic in a small dish. With a pastry brush, coat the interior of the pumpkin with the oil & garlic mixture. Set prepared pumpkin inside a large roasting pan lined with parchment paper. Save remaining oil for recipe below.
- Place 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs inside the pumpkin, then a layer of Swiss cheese followed by a layer of mozzarella. Repeat layering until the pumpkin is filled.
- Combine half & half, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp nutmeg. Pour gently over cheese layers. Top with additional 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. Replace top on pumpkin and roast for 1 1/2 hours. After 1 1/2 hours, remove top and gently stir the cheese mixture with a fork. Roast an additional 30 minutes or until pumpkin flesh can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve with toasted baguette (recipe below) , pita chips, or gingersnaps. Use a spoon to scoop out the pumpkin meat along with the cheese mixture.
Garlic toast for roasted pumpkin tureen
1 Baguette, sliced thin
1 TBSP Olive oil
1 /2 cup Mozzarella or grated parmesean cheese
- Place bread slices on a rimmed baking sheet
- Brush with oil/garlic mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and toast is golden brown.