Well, here it is. The big splurge of the high calorie season. You have New Year’s Day left to induldge before the New Year’s Resolutions begin. These sticky buns are actually based off Ina Garten’s easy sticky buns. I’ve made them several times, but this past Christmas I nearly caught my mother in law’s kitchen on fire because of all the smoke and mess from the original recipe. Additionally, my family felt the sticky rolls were just too sweet. There is so much butter and sugar they have an almost candy coating to the exterior. Most of our pecans were over done. The butter and sugar ran off the pans and created a huge mess in the oven.
Everyone has a house full of guests and you want to serve something special other than toast with your fantastic Egg Strata. These simple sticky buns are the perfect breakfast treat. They are quick, require only a few ingredients and NO dough making! Yay!
So, I attempted and created a lower sugar and butter recipe that has a much easier clean up and will leave your oven spotless. We added more pecans and golden raisins, which I find plumper than standard raisins. To make them extra special, I topped the dough with smoked salt flakes just before baking to cut the sweetness. This recipe is super easy. No yeasted bread to rise overnight, no kneading- simple puff pastry is the star of the show. The layers are delicate, sweet, tender and flaky. Give these a try tomorrow morning with a strong cup of coffee (assuming everyone is going overindulge tonight) and as always, let me know your thoughts. Put on Macklemore’s amazing Christmas song while you bake these. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Pecan Sticky buns
1 package of frozen puff pastry sheets, ( 2 sheets) thawed
1 stick of room temp unsalted butter- 8 TBSP
2 TBSP light brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
For the Filling:
1 TBSP butter, melted
4 TBSP light brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans, chopped fine
1 cup golden raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
Method. Prep time: 15 minutes. Baking time: 30 minutes. Makes 12 buns
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a 12 cup muffin pan on top of the paper.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 stick of butter and 2 TBSP of brown sugar until smooth. With a small scoop, place one heaping teaspoon of sweetened butter into each muffin tin. Top with 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans. Place in freezer while preparing puff pastry. .
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll puff pastry. Lightly brush 1/2 TBSP of melted butter onto each sheet of pastry. Taking care to note measurements: Leave a one inch edge and lightly sprinkle 2 TBSP of brown sugar onto EACH sheet of pastry. Follow with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon of each sheet. Next add 1/2 cup of golden raisins and then 1/4 cup of the finely chopped pecans.
- Roll up dough, rolling away from you into a tight log. With a serrated knife, trim the ends off the log. Slice in the center and then each half into into thirds creating 6 buns. Lightly sprinkle with a pinch of smoked sea salt.
- Remove muffin pan with butter from freezer and place buns cut side up (see photos) into muffin pan. Pop back into the freezer for five minutes to chill the dough.
- Bake buns at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and crisp. Do not burn the pecans.
Let rest for 3-5 minutes and then using a thick towel or oven mitts, invert the muffin pan onto the parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and pop out the buns. Serve immediately.