This beautiful blueberry-broccoli salad with honey yogurt dressing, bursting with fresh ingredients, has been in my repertoire for many years. This updated version includes crunchy radishes, toasted walnuts, crisp tender steamed broccoli, sliced dates, dried cherries and plump blueberries.
Dress the salad with a yummy greek yogurt, raw honey and lemon juice dressing. Super healthy, Super tasty and so good for you. It’s a not a just salad- it’s flavor explosion in a big bowl.
I hope you give it a try this week.
Can I make this dish ahead?
Yes- you can make the salad up to two days in advance. It’s best of you only add the dressing a few hours before serving. DO NOT add the walnut until just before serving.
Does this recipe freeze well?
Unfortunately, no. You can assemble all the ingredients and keep them in air tight containers in your fridge prior to assembling. Eat the salad within 3 days of adding the dressing.
Blueberry broccoli Salad with Honey YOGURT dressing – serves 4-6
1 head of broccoli, stems removed and cut into florets
2 radishes, sliced thin placed into ice water to crisp
1 heaping cup fresh blueberries, washed
2 Medjool dates, pittted and sliced thin
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup walnuts halves, roughly chopped * See chef’s notes
- For the dressing
1 cup plain thick greek yogurt
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 medium lemon- about 2 TBSP
2 TBSP raw honey
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
- *For the Walnuts
2 TBSP unsalted butter
2 TBSP light brown sugar
Method- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. Set aside.
In a shallow saucepan filled with 1- 2 inches of water, place a metal colander or steaming basket over the hot water. Add the broccoli to the streaming basket. Steam broccoli florets for 3-4 minutes. Plunge the broccoli into the ice bath. This will halt the cooking process and retain the bright green color. Drain immediately and pat dry. Set aside. Make certain the broccoli is VERY dry before adding the dressing.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. Add in the brown sugar. Stir mixture vigorously until bubbly and frothy. Gently stir in walnuts. Stir constantly to coat the walnuts with the Brown sugar and butter mixture. Toast the walnuts for 1-2 minutes until completely coated. Pour walnut mixture onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper to cool- about 10 minutes. Once cool, store in an airtight container up to 1 day. To reheat, just toss in a dry pan for 30 seconds. DO NOT MICROWAVE.
- In a small bowl whisk until well combined the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Check for seasonings and adjust if needed. Set aside in the fridge to chill.
Drain the radishes that have been crisping in the ice water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large serving bowl add in the steamed broccoli, radishes, sliced dates, cherries, and blueberries. Gently toss in the dressing, adding half at a time.
- If needed, add in the rest of the dressing or save it for a dipping sauce for other steamed vegetables or as a topping for fruit.
- Gently fold in the walnuts just before serving.
- This salad keeps in the fridge covered for up to 3 days.
- Chef’s notes– If you are watching your sugar and fat intake, you can toast the walnuts in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes. Just omit the brown sugar and butter. However, I love the taste of the candied walnuts. Either way is fine. Just be certain to add the walnuts just before serving so they do not become soggy.
- I prefer to use local raw honey. But any honey you like is fine. for a vegan salad- just use agave.
- If you like a really thick dressing, try straining the Greek yogurt over a few layers of cheesecloth for an hour or two before making the dressing.
- My salad bowl is by Juliska
I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep
it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back in the future.
Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my users would truly benefit from some of the information you present
here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!
Thank you so much-
That’s fine as long as I receive a link /tag and credit.
Hola! I’ve been reading your blog for a long time now and
finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out
from Huffman Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up
the good job!