This hearty bowl of protein packed lentils, roasted vegetables and tangy feta will be on you table in 30 minutes. Serve with a bright lemon vinaigrette. Yum and done!
I cook French green or black lentils in water for 16-17 minutes, then rinse. Red lentils, plain green or brown lentils can get mushy and are not ideal for this dish.
Ingredients- Prep time 10 minutes, baking time 20 minutes
1- 7 oz block of Greek feta cheese, cut into 5 thick strips
1 cup of dry French Green or Black lentils
3 cups broccoli, cut into florets
1 red onion, cut into thick wedges or strips
1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
6 cloves garlic, divided
1 lemon, sliced thin
2-3 TBSP Fresh lemon juice
salt & pepper
5 TBSP extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp dijon mustard
3-4 Basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
Warm NAAN bread
Method- serves 4
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a large pot.
Rinse the dried lentils with clean water using a strainer and check for small stones or dirt. Add 1/2 tsp salt and lentils to the boiling water. Reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer for 17 minutes. Rinse and drain the lentils. Keep lentils warm. This yields 2 1/2 cup cooked lentils.
- Scatter chopped vegetables, 4 cloves of garlic and the thinly sliced lemons onto the sheet pan. Neatly tuck the feta on top of the vegetables. Drizzle with 2 TBSP of olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees until the vegetables have softened and the cheese is slightly golden brown.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the lentils into a serving bowl. Top with a serving of the vegetables and a piece or two of the feta.
- In a small jar or high speed blender, combine the remaining 2 cloves of garlic, 2 TBSP of fresh lemon juice, 3 TBSP olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, basil leaves and mustard. Combine until well emulsified. Pour over each serving of vegetables and lentils.
- Serve with warm NAAN bread and garnish with basil leaves.
- Serve warm or cold– this makes a great salad
- Try with goat cheese. Add honey to the dressing instead of mustard
- This keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days
- Add any vegetables you prefer: carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, etc
- Olives would also be a great addition to this dish