Key Lime Pie is easily my favorite dessert. I will pass on chocolate anyday over Key Lime. My native Florida roots are showing. For this recipe, I wanted several things- a no bake/ make ahead dessert, key limes, but light, tart, sour and sweet. Yikes! That’s a big bill to fill. I started thinking about my favorite kinds of desserts and tiramisu kept popping into my mind. So I deconstructed a tiramisu and added Key Lime Pie components to come up with this amazing dessert. Instead of an espresso soaked biscotti, I made a simple syrup with rum, ginger, water and sugar. I whipped cream and mascapone for one layer, make a traditional key lime custard for another layer and topped the whole thing with whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar. Definitely give it a try. It is so good, your guests will ask for seconds. Enjoy!
Key lime Tiramisu- serves 4-6
1 cup of fresh key lime juice ( approx. 1 lb of limes)
2 egg yolks
28 oz. ( 2 small cans) sweetened condesned milk
- For the mascapone cream
8 oz Mascarpone, room temperature
1 cup heavy whipped cream
- For the Rum Simple Syrup
1 cup light rum
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1- 1″ piece of ginger, peeled
1 tsp lime zest
1- 7 oz package biscotti cookies
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
1 TBSP sugar
1 lime & zest for garnish
Powdered sugar for dusting
Method- Prep time- 1 hour, Make overnight
- In a medium bowl, combine the key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and eggs yolks. Cover and chill for 1 hour until thick and firm.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip 1 cup of heavy cream until soft peaks form, whisk in the mascarpone until light and well combined. Cover and chill.
- In a small saucepan, bring to a simmer the water, sugar, 1 tsp of lime zest and ginger. Off heat add rum. Return to the stove and let simmer until sugar is dissolved. Let cool. Pour into a shallow dish. Remove ginger.
- Whip remaining heavy cream and add 1 TBSP of sugar until sugar dissolves. Keep chilled until time to assemble the tiramisu.
- To Assemble:
Take each biscotti cookie and gently dip it in the simple syrup for just a moment. Place in the bottom of an 8 x 8″ dish. You may need to break a few of the cookies to make them fit in a single layer.
- With an offset spatula, spread the mascarpone cream mixture over the top of the rum-simple syrup soaked biscotti.
- Add another layer of rum-simple syrup biscotti on top of the mascarpone cream. Top with the Key Lime custard.
- For the topping, spoon 1 cup of the sweetened whipped cream over the top.
Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle with lime zest. To serve, cut into squares and top each slice with a thinly sliced lime wedge.